Delightfully sweet currant jam without refined sugar will make you want to plant currant bushes all over your yard!
We have copious amounts of golden currants in our yard, which seems to be pretty unique around our area. I know many people who have black or red currants but they don’t always take advantage and eat them.
When you're wondering what on earth to make with your currants, this golden currant freezer jam with natural sweetener is such a fun and delicious recipe!
Golden currants: Also known as clove currant, pruterberry and buffalo currant, these are the sweetest currant, in my opinion. Nutritionally they are high in vitamin C, iron, and anthocyanins (antioxidant).
These berries take a bit more prep time to prepare since they have little stems at both ends. I prefer to remove all stems but that’s up to you whether you leave them or remove them.
This jam is incredibly sweet with a unique flavor that is well worth the work! If you’re able to get your hands on fresh golden currants take advantage of this recipe!
Natural Sweetener: I only use maple syrup in this recipe but you can replace it with white sugar if you prefer. I would recommend starting with 2 tbsp. white sugar, then increasing to your taste.
Arrowroot Powder: I use a bit less arrowroot than I would cornstarch in my jams (about ⅔ the amount). You can add the arrowroot near the end of the cook. This is the Arrowroot Powder I use and love.
Water: Simple, good-ol water!
You can blend these berries with an emulsion blender but I prefer it as a chunky jam.
- Small Batch Strawberry Freezer Jam
- Naturally Sweetened Plum Freezer Jam
- Plum Freezer Jam with Chia Seeds
Golden Currant Freezer Jam with Natural Sweetener
- 2 cups currant berries with stems removed
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder/starch
- Add currants, water, arrowroot powder, and maple syrup to a medium-size saucepan. Heat to medium-low heat. Cook for 15 minutes then decrease temperature to low. Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
- Mash berries with potato masher. Cook for another 10 minutes and turn off burner. Let sit to continue setting.