A comforting and healthy dish for when you don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen! Make this gluten free by switching out rice for the barley!
When it comes to planning dinner, what’s more reassuring than knowing you can take minimal time to prep, your meal can be done in a reasonable amount of time, and it will be delicious? This recipe gives you all of that.
This recipe has been such a staple for my family and I know it’s going to be great every time. It covers all the bases for having protein, vegetables, and grains and wonderful flavor. My toddler and husband love this meal which is a huge win.
Make this recipe Gluten Free by simply replacing the barley with rice or another preferred gluten-free grain!
More Recipes With Chicken
All in One Chicken and Barley
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion 1 onion
- ¼ cups garlic minced
- 2 cups carrot about 2 large carrots
- 1 ¾ cups celery about 3 stalks
- ½ lbs chicken breast
- 1 cups uncooked barley option to use brown rice
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Use a Dutch oven (I use a large corning ware saucepan to cook this in). Make sure it's a large pot. Heat oil in pot on medium heat (level ¾). Once hot, add onion, garlic, and carrot. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 5 minutes, add celery, chicken breast, uncooked barley, vegetable broth, and all seasonings and continue cooking for about 25 minutes.
- Decrease heat to Low and cook for another 1 hour, 50 minutes.