Forget basic soup and go full flavor with this healthy lentil soup! Instructions included for quick oven-baked tortilla chips.
This page contains affiliated links)
Whether you’re new to cooking with lentils or a seasoned consumer, this red lentil soup is a must to try!
Simple to make, with the option to add all ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low heat, this recipe is a great choice for a quick and delicious meal.
- Olive Oil for sautéing
- Yellow Onion
- Roma Tomatoes
- Red Lentils
- Sea Salt: This recipe is low salt. Adjust as desired at the end.
- Ground Coriander
- Ground Cumin
- Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- Optional Jalapenos for spice!
I have a toddler in my house and she eats what we eat. So, I don’t often add spice to the whole dish. But, a lentil dish always tastes better (in my opinion) with either a spicy curry powder, ground red pepper, or fresh peppers like a jalapeno or serrano.
You can always offer the spices and minced peppers on the side for everyone to add however much they want individually.
Easy Steps to Make this Soup
- Sauté the carrots, onion, garlic, and raw lentils.
- Add the broth, spices, tomatoes.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender and lentils are cooked.
- Enjoy with chips or follow my quick instructions in the recipe card for homemade oven baked tortilla chips.
- 3 quart Dutch Oven or heavy bottom pot
- TeamFar Baking Sheets set of 4" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener">TeamFar Baking Sheet Set of 4, Stainless Steel
More Soup and Stew Recipes
- Loaded Veggie and Potato Soup
- Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup
- Roasted Acorn Squash Soup
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
Easy Red Lentil Soup
- Dutch Oven
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 ½ tablespoon minced garlic about 5 medium cloves
- 1 cups diced carrot
- 1 cups raw red lentils
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ cups diced roma tomato about 3 romas
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (option to replace 1 ½ cups worth with water)
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper optional
- Prepare all vegetables.
- Heat a Dutch oven/large saucepan on medium-low heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once hot, add onions, garlic, carrots, and dried lentils and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cook for another 25-30 minutes or until lentils are cooked thoroughly, decreasing heat to low once it gets to a low boil.
- Adjust salt as desired. If you're serving with salty chips, take that into consideration.
Quick Oven-Baked Tortilla Chips
- While the soup cooks preheat oven to 375°F. Cut two 10 inch flour tortillas into 8 equal triangles. Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil, spread out the tortillas without them touching, and spray again with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and optional lime juice.
- Bake on the middle rack for 10-12 minutes. You can fit about 1 ½ tortillas on a 16 x 12 inch sheet pan. Use multiple pans if needed and bake side by side on the middle rack.
Leave a comment and rating, I'd love to hear from you!