Fresh salad doesn't get much better than this with leafy greens, kale, grilled chicken, sweet potato, apples, onion, and walnuts! The flavors and textures are incredible!
This grilled chicken salad kicks it up a notch with leafy greens, kale, sweet potato, apple, walnuts, onion, and a homemade raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
The “cook time” is for the chicken and sweet potato which can be decreased considerably by using already cooked or rotisserie chicken and frozen sweet potatoes. Although I’m a fan of freshly cooked and all homemade, sometimes you just need to spend less time in the kitchen!
We like this salad as a main meal but of course you can serve it however you wish. Add extra chicken to make it a heftier meal!
My husband and toddler both loved this so I think it’s perfect for everyone!
Although you can use any salad dressing you have, I would highly recommend trying this raspberry vinaigrette. You can use frozen or fresh raspberries but I wouldn’t replace them for jam or jelly, that just won’t be the same.
Similar Salad Recipes
Grilled Chicken Salad
For the Salad
- 1 ½ cups baked sweet potato chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced chicken breast
- 4 cups romaine or red leaf lettuce
- 1 cups chopped kale
- ½ cups thinly sliced purple or yellow onion
- 1 ¼ cups thinly sliced apples
- ½ cups walnuts chopped
For the Raspberry Vinaigrette
- ¼ cups balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cups fresh raspberries
- 1 pinch sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Bake the Sweet Potato
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Wash sweet potato and poke with knife or fork. Bake for about 40 minutes. Grill chicken while sweet potato bakes (see below). Peel potato once baked.
Grill the Chicken
- Heat a large skillet or saucepan to low-medium heat. Add a little olive oil or water and whole chicken breasts once oil is hot. Cook for 10 minutes, covered. Option to sprinkle salt and pepper. Flip chicken and cook another 5 minutes. Decrease heat to low and cook another 8 minutes.
Prep the Salad
- Chop the lettuce, kale, sweet potato, and walnuts. Thinly slice the onion, chicken, and apples.
Make the Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Add all ingredients for dressing to a blender cup and blend briefly.
Make the Salad
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and toss. Add dressing how you prefer.