A quick stir fry-style side dish with the added crunch of toasted chia seeds for any lunch or dinner!
(This page contains affiliated links)
Lately I've been all about the side dishes. I'm finding my meal planning much less stressful when I can plan an easy protein and then 1-2 side dishes. This Sautéed Cabbage with Chia Seeds has been such a fun and easy side to make to pair with meals, or eat on it's own as a quick snack the next day.
Cabbage is not something I frequently have in the fridge, because I don't want to eat it every day. But, when I do have it I find that I'm always grasping for fun and unique ways to use it up so it doesn't get sent to the compost! I realized that I don't have to find a bunch of main meals that highlight cabbage, I can just focus on the side dishes!
When is comes to a side dish this easy, the greatest factor is that it's so easy to change up. You can replace the chia seeds for sesame seeds, purple cabbage for green, Asian flavored seasonings for Italian, you decide!
This is a straight forward recipe and I'm not about to spend a page explaining what I did during my day while making this so let's just get straight to the recipe!
Equipment Used for this Recipe
- Medium-sized cast iron skillet
- HIC Harold Import Co. Dexter-Russell Burger Turner, Stainless Steel with Walnut Handle
Try These Similar Recipes
Sautéed Cabbage with Chia Seeds
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 cups sliced purple cabbage (¼ inch thick)
- 2-3 teaspoon liquid aminos (or coconut aminos)
- ½ teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2-3 tablespoon green onion to garnish
- Slice cabbage into ¼ inch thick slices. Set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet ( I use cast iron) on low-medium heat with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Once hot, add chia seeds. Toast for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.Add cabbage plus ½-1 more teaspoon olive oil. Add liquid aminos and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Start low with liquid aminos (1-2 tsp, then add more if you want. 3 is flavorful, but salty!) Turn off heat and add sesame oil.Garnish with diced fresh green onion.Serve warm or cold!
Leave a comment and rating, I'd love to hear from you!