Ditch the burger and bun and try this delicious turkey wrap using my homemade pizza sauce!
Looking for a change to your typical burger night? This recipe has it all. It’s healthy, with veggies that add incredible flavor, it can be gluten free using gluten free oats, and it’s easy to cook stove top or on grill.
This recipe is great for toddlers, kids, and adults alike. If you’re looking to add veggies and protein to your recipes this is one of my favorite ways! Serve meatballs alone as finger food or serve in a lettuce wrap or on a hamburger bun!
Oats: Make it gluten free if you wish with gluten free oats. Check out my post on How to Make Oat Flour and Oatmeal for blending your own oats.
Chard: Don’t skip this ingredient! You can use kale instead.
Zucchini: I like to use a cheese grater and then chop it even finer. My veggie chopper tends to create too large of pieces and for meatballs and burgers you don’t want large chunks of veggies sticking out! Don’t forget to squeeze out extra liquid so it doesn’t make the meat mixture too thin, otherwise it can fall apart.
Serving Size is about 38 meatballs total using 2 tablespoon of meat mix each.
Here’s a link to my Turkey Burger recipe which uses the same ingredients.
More Recipes with Turkey
- Chard and Zucchini Turkey Burger
- Italian Sausage and Fingerling Potatoes
- Cellentani with Turkey Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
Turkey Meatball Lettuce Wrap
For the Wraps
- 12 large leaves of lettuce (romaine, red leaf, or other)
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cups onion (diced)
- 1 cups zucchini (shredded then chopped)
- ½ cups chard (diced)
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced
- ¼ cups oatmeal (or oat flour)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- fresh ground pepper to taste
For the Pizza Sauce
- 1 cups tomato sauce, no added salt
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste, no added salt
- ¼ cups + 2 tbsp diced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel
- shredded cheese
- diced tomatoes
Make the Pizza Sauce
- Combine all ingredients for pizza sauce in a saucepan. Heat small saucepan on low heat. Cook on stove for about 30 minutes. Make meatball while sauce cooks.
Make the Meatballs
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Don't overwork the mix.
- Using 2 tablespoon of meat mix form into balls. Cook for 10 minutes,covered, rolling meatballs over with a spoon half way through.
- Serve with white cheddar cheese or mozzarella and diced tomatoes in large leaf lettuce wrap.