If you love apple pie you have to try it with this creamy filling and irresistible crumble topping. This recipe is completely from scratch and it's such a fun change from your typical apple pie. Made with natural sweetener only!
(This page contains affiliated links)
This recipe lives up to the mouthful that is its name! Apple Pie, but Creamy, and with a Crumble Topping? Yes, it's a real thing and you need to try it!
Don't get me wrong, a typical apple pie is one of my favorites. I make my Incredible Apple Pie frequently, but I just wanted some variety! I love anything creamy, but I still wanted great texture and flavor. The crumble topping gives just that. It's such a fun topping, for any pie really, and pairs so well with this delicious recipe!
This pie is made with natural sweeteners only and if you wanted to make it gluten free you could use a from-scratch gluten free pastry recipe or use a frozen pastry. Also, you could easily switch out the flour for oat flour in the crumble topping and the filling and get great results. For the filling, you could also use cornstarch or arrowroot powder as a thickener if you wish.
Let's Talk About the Perks of This Recipe
- Don't mess with fluting the edges of the pie pastry
- Leave apple slices large, which saves time
- No need to mess with a lid for the pie and decide how to flute it, or do some sort of fancy lattice work
- You get more crunch with every bite
- You get your oats, apples, Greek yogurt, all in one dish. Which, let's be honest, covers your grains, fruit, dairy, and protein for the day!
Let's Break it Down
Don't get overwhelmed by the lengthy recipe. Start one step at a time and it's really not too much.
You'll want to make this first because you'll refrigerate it for at least 1 hour to let it firm up. Use my Pie Pastry Recipe for the best pie pastry you can make!
- If you're using a typical pie pan (9") then use my Single Pastry recipe.
- If you're making a deep dish or 10" pie then use my Larger Pie Pastry recipe.
Almond Sprinkle on the Base
Why this step? Just try it and you'll know why. This is a step I use in another delicious recipe I have yet to share (top secret for now) and it adds so much! Because this filling is wetter, the almond sprinkle helps absorb some of the moisture before it hits the pastry and it adds another bit of crunch. I initially made the recipe for a deep dish and I left this amount the same for the smaller 9" pie. Use as much or as little of the sprinkle as you want, then just use any leftovers in oatmeal or with another dessert!
Keep the slices large! I use an apple slicer that cuts it into 8 portions which is perfect. Cut each of those in half if you want smaller pieces!
Don't worry too much about what type of apple to use. I wouldn't recommend a red delicious and know that a granny smith might give you a tad crunchier apple, but it really doesn't matter! There are so many apples out there now days so try a variety together in this pie! I typically use: Gala, Fuji, Honey Crisp, Pink Lady, Jazz, McIntosh...the list goes on. Oh, and when we pick them from random apple orchards I don't always know what I'm getting, but I do know they taste great in this pie.
I tried this filling with using only Greek yogurt and no cream cheese. It just didn't stand up to the recipe as posted below. With the current recipe you get more flavor and a bit thicker/richer filling. If you don't have citric acid you could use a little lemon zest. Of course you can leave that ingredient out as well but it does add a great tang that I never do without!
Make this next to refrigerate it while you make the rest of the pie. You want the crumble firm so it doesn't melt away on the pie but holds together nicely into little clumps.
Equipment Used for this Recipe
- I use my Corning Ware pie plate or my ceramic (no coating) pie pan.
- I use this Winco TN166 Pie Server
Try These Similar Recipes
- Incredible Apple Pie (refined-sugar free)
- Raspberry Rhubarb Pie
- Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Triple Berry Pie with Rhubarb (refined-sugar free)
Creamy Apple Crumble Pie
Pastry- See Single or Larger Pastry from my Pie Pastry recipe. Use single pastry for 9" pie pan, larger pastry for deep dish
For the Crumble Topping
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond meal (blended raw almonds)
- ¼ cup oatmeal (blended rolled oats)
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 6 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon raw honey
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup all purpose flour (white or white wheat)
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon *optional maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoon cold water
For the Apples
- 7 cups sliced apples for 9” regular size pie (or 8 cups for 10” pie pan/ deep dish)
For the Sprinkling on Base
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon raw coconut sugar
- ¼ cup almond meal (blended almonds)
For the Creamy Filling
- ½ cup cream cheese, room temperature (4oz)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ½ cup full fat plain Greek yogurt (I use Fage)
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon citric acid
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
Make the Pie Pastry
- Use the Single Pastry recipe for a 9 inch pie pan and the Larger Pastry recipe for a 10" or deep dish. Let chill in the fridge for about an hour to firm up. Meanwhile, make the crumble topping and filling.
Make the Crumble Topping
- Combine all dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and mix well using a fork and/or your hands. Chill in the fridge while finishing remaining steps.
Prep the Apples
- Peel apples. Cut apple into 8 slices, option to do thinner, 16 slices. Set aside.
Make the Almond Layer to Sprinkle on the Base
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Make the Creamy Filling
- Cream together all ingredients. I mix by hand so it's important to have room temp cream cheese and egg. Add apples into the cream mixture and gently combine.
Put it All Together
- Preheat oven to 400°F, use middle rack.
- Roll out pie pastry to about 10 inches for 9 inch pie pan or 11-12 inches for deep dish or 10 inch pie pan. Transfer to pie pan.
- Sprinkle blended almond mixture on top of pastry base.
- Pour creamy apple mixture on top.
- Use your fingers to sprinkle on the crumble topping, leaving it in small chunks.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400°F. (If using a convection oven, use lower rack, uncovered). Leave oven door closed, decrease oven to 350°F and cover with foil for 45-55 more minutes.
Leave a comment and rating, I'd love to hear from you!