Make taco night even more enjoyable with this quick and delicious recipe that can be used in tacos, burritos, as a chip dip, or turned into a toddler taco!
If you’re looking for an easy, quick, versatile, and delicious recipe this easy taco filling is for you! This is one of the simplest recipes I make and it’s a hit every time. It makes enough to feed a family or to have leftovers.
This is really a 3-way recipe because it works great as a burrito filling, taco, filling, or chip dip. Or, you could add rice and eat it as is!
I’ve included short instructions for a “kid friendly” taco. My toddler loves tacos, but when she picks one up and all the filling spills out, everyone is sad. If you add a few ingredients and mix them together you get a filling that’s packed with everything a loaded taco would have but it actually holds together making it a meal that a young child can actually feed themselves! Win win.
Serving size is considering 1 serving as ½ cup of taco filling.
Easy Taco Filling (3 ways)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup no salt crushed tomatoes
For all-in-one Taco
- ½ cups finished taco filling
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoon mashed avocado
- 1 tablespoon chopped romain lettuce (option to use cilantro)
- Heat a large skillet to low-medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Once hot, add onion and garlic to pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add all spices, ground beef, and crushed tomatoes. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes, covered.
- Decrease heat to low, cooking for another 10 minutes, chopping meat to get a fine ground.
- Remove lid and cook for another 5-8 minutes to help absorb some of the liquid. Skim fat off surface.
For All-In-One Taco or Toddler Taco
- Using a slotted spoon scoop ½ cup of taco meat and add to a bowl. Combine with 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt, 1 ½ tablespoon avocado, 1 tablespoon chopped lettuce. Combine until smooth to your liking. Great to help the taco hold together for young kids!