A deliciously sweet blueberry pie filling made from scratch using honey as natural sweetener, arrowroot powder to thicken, and and extra zip from lemon zest, lemon juice, and citric acid!
(This page contains affiliated links)
Homemade blueberry pie filling is so incredibly easy, as well as versatile! This is a smaller batch recipe that you can easily double or triple for whatever recipe you need!
Just a few things I love about this recipe: it uses only natural sweetener, arrowroot is the thickening agent instead of cornstarch, and it has a great zip thanks to the lemon zest, lemon juice, and citric acid!
No one wants a runny pie filling and you definitely won't have that issue with this recipe! It holds together well while not being too firm.
- Fresh Blueberries are best in this recipe for that fresh taste. You can likely use thawed frozen berries since you don't have to worry about them breaking down!
- Fresh Lemons for juicing and zesting.
- Raw Honey for natural sweetness and great flavor.
- Arrowroot Powder: I love using Bob's Red Mill Arrowroot Starch/Flour which you can find on Amazon most local grocery stores near the gluten free flours. You can also use cornstarch instead if that's what you have and use.
- Citric Acid: It is really easy to find in you local grocery store. Just search your baking isle or you can buy it on Amazon here.
- Water to thin it all out a bit!
Try this blueberry pie filling with my Blueberry Mascarpone Parfait recipe! Or, enjoy it in a pie, tart, crumble, crisp, or cobbler! Don't feel like baking? Try it with Greek yogurt or top your vanilla yogurt with a little dollop!
Try These Similar Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Scones
- Blueberry Cookie Dough Yogurt Drops
- Homemade Blueberry Ice Cream (no egg, no churn option)
Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest about ½ a lemon
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon citric acid
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook on low-medium heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking. Turn off heat to cool to let thicken. Once slightly cooled transfer to the fridge to continue to chill and thicken.
- Double or triple the recipe as needed to match the portion side needed for your particular recipe.