Hamburger helper taken up a notch with this quick and easy meal!
Hamburger Helper is a delicious, easy meal with ingredients that are easily accessible for most. I can never leave well enough alone so here’s my elevated recipe with more pizazz added in.
This recipe is a great way to add more veggies into your meal. I’m not one to have a 3 course meal, but an all-in-one dish with a grain, protein, vegetables, and dairy? I’m all in.
Steps to Make this Dish
- Sauté the raw vegetables.
- Add Italian seasoning mix and ground beef and continue cooking.
- You want to undercook the meat a bit at this stage so it doesn't overcook as you continue to add ingredients.
- Add crushed tomatoes and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Decrease heat to low and add cheese and cooked noodles.
- Gently combine all until the cheese is melted and serve! TIP: If you can tell that not everything will fit in your skillet, then add the cheese to the skillet to combine, then transfer the skillet ingredients to a large mixing bowl and add the noodles to combine all.
Ways to Change up this Recipe
- Try gluten-free noodles if your diet requires it!
- Try different vegetables like various greens, jalapenos, variety of colors of bell peppers (will add sweetness).
- Add spice with crushed red pepper/red pepper flakes, ground chipotle, jalapeno.
Elevated Hamburger Helper
- 3 cups uncooked fusilli noodles (4 cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups diced purple onion
- 4 tablespoons diced garlic (5 large cloves)
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 ½ cups finely chopped chard (or kale)
- 1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar or colby jack cheese
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed thyme
- ½ teaspoon rosemary (ground or whole leaf)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- Bring water to a boil. Add 3 cups uncooked fusilli and bring back to a boil, then decrease to medium-low and cook for about about 7-8 minutes until al dente. Don't overcook the noodles because you don't want them mushy when you add them to the remainder of the dish.
Cook the Remainder of the Dish
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, add onions, garlic, bell pepper, and chard (or kale) and sauté for 5 minutes.While cooking, combine all ingredients for the Italian seasoning in a small bowl.
- Add Italian seasoning and ground beef to the vegetables. Cook for about 5 minutes, chopping meat during cook. It's ok if the beef is slightly pink at this point.
- Add crushed tomatoes and sauté for another 3 minutes. Decrease to low heat, add cheese and cooked noodles and gently combine. Keep on heat until cheese is melted, then remove.
- Add optional red pepper flakes to serve!