These green beans are anything but basic! Sauté them with fresh garlic, almonds, and a touch of lemon juice for an incredible savory and light side dish!
Green beans are such a beloved side dish any time of year, especially for holidays! They're easy to serve fresh and healthy, sauté them, bake them, put them in a salad.
These green beans almondine are a healthier option (if you ignore the butter) and a wonderful, light side to any meal. You can always substitute the butter for ghee or a vegan butter. Olive oil can also be used but you will lose the richness that comes from using butter.
Green Beans: Prep the beans by cutting off the ends and rinsing them.
Garlic: You'll get the best results with slivered garlic (thinly sliced). I've used minced garlic and there's a greater chance of getting a bitter, stronger taste that way. With slivered garlic you get a stronger garlic flavor with a more even cook.
Almonds: You can buy slivered almonds, or just thinly slice your own. I always have fresh almonds in bulk so I choose to slice my own, even though it takes a bit more time. You can always just chop them, but same as the garlic- you get a more even cook with thinly slicing them.
Lemon Juice: I recommend adding the lemon juice at the very end. I've also sautéed the green beans right in the lemon juice, which works well, but it can get bitter. Keep it fresh and just drizzle it at the end!
Unsalted Butter: I wouldn't recommend using any oils in this recipe. The flavors will greatly change and butter just gives the perfect cook on these beans!
Try These Similar Recipes
- Quick Pickled Onions
- Lightly Sweetened Dinner Rolls
- Dad's Classic Stuffing Recipe
- Red Bell Pepper and Garlic Hummus
Green Beans Almondine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (option to replace with ghee or vegan butter)
- 1 large fistful of fresh green beans
- 2 large garlic cloves (sliced thin lengthwise)
- 2 tablespoon slivered almonds (ready-made or slice almonds into thin slivers)
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice (or more to taste)
- You can easily double this recipe-decide this before starting!
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat with 1 tablespoon butter. Once hot, add garlic and sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Add green beans and almonds and sauté for another 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and drizzle with lemon juice. Serve warm!
Leave a comment and rating, I'd love to hear from you!