This roasted beet salad is brightened by both golden and red beets, homemade pickled onions, and an apple cider and olive oil drizzle. Garnish with feta cheese and walnuts for an incredible side dish that will awaken your palate!
When you want a salad that's light and bright, but also has some depth to it, this roasted beet salad is a perfect choice!
Golden beets are so delicious and add incredible color to your plate. But, just to add a little more color I added red beets also. You have the option to roast them in the oven or steam them stovetop!
My Homemade Pickled Onions add so much flavor to this dish! Yes, it does take a bit of preparation to marinade them but it's so worth it! I chose to make a really small batch of pickled onions mainly for this beet salad. Add extras to each plate or save some for another day! They're so quick and easy to make you'll be wondering why you haven't made them before!
Feta is such a perfect pairing for this salad. It adds salt, strong flavor, and a little creamy texture.
Walnuts are my favorite in this salad because they give a really good crunch, as well as nutritional oomph. Feel free to substitute them for another nut of your choice, but almonds or pecans would probably be the best alternatives.
Green Leaf Lettuce or red leaf lettuce are great choices for this salad, although you can really choose any lettuce!
I would highly recommend using my homemade dressing included in the instructions for this recipe. I made the portion size specifically for this salad and the flavors are meant to balance with all the other ingredients in the most beautiful way. You can always substitute the dressing if you really wanted to but my recipe is light and tangy!
Making this Vegetarian
Feta is not traditionally vegetarian because it's made with animal rennet. Find a tofu-based feta, or make sure it's made with vegetable rennet and you're all set!
Option to switch out type of cheese or leave it off completely!
Try These Similar Recipes
Roasted Beet Salad
- 1 cup golden beets halved or quartered into large chunks
- 1 cup purple beets quartered into large chunks
- drizzle olive oil for beets to roast
- 3 cups green leaf lettuce (or arugula, spring mix)
- ⅓ - ½ cup pickled onions (see below instructions for my recipe link)
- garnish with feta cheese and walnuts or slivered almonds *See notes for vegetarian option
Dressing to Drizzle
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
Make Pickled Onions- prepare ahead of time
- Follow my recipe for quick pickled onions. Marinate for 6-8 hours (less if that length isn't possible, but up to 24 hours is ideal)
Option 1: Roasting Beets
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Peel beets and cut into large wedges or chunks. Rinse knife in between cutting golden and red beets. Place beets on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or in a rimed dish such as a Pyrex dish or cake pan. Keep them at opposite ends so the red doesn't bleed through to the golden beets. Drizzle with olive oil.Baking options: 35-40 minutes uncovered for a more roasted finish30-35 minutes covered with tin foil for less of a grill and more of a even color finish
Option 2: Steaming Beets
- Place beets in 2 separate saucepans. Heat each saucepan on medium heat for about 8 minutes or until it starts to boil. Decrease to low for 10-13 more minutes. Separate from liquid but save juices for drinking or smoothies!
Prepping Remainder of Salad
- While beets are cooking, chop lettuce, add feta to a separate small bowl and chop walnuts to set aside. Make the dressing drizzle
Making the Dressing
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients for the dressing.
Putting the Salad Together
- On a large plate, lay out the lettuce. Place the beets on top, followed by pickled onions, sprinkle walnuts and feta (or keep nuts and feta separate to add to each plate separately). Drizzle homemade dressing to finish!